Friday, October 16, 2009

October feeding


Replaced my emptied "bee tea" jars today; sugar, water, dandelion root, camomile, thyme and a speck of eucalyptus. The barn hive had bees up in the feeder, the Woodstock hive was quiet and the Greeting Garden hive was quiet also but when I lifted the cover I was glad to see 5 drawn combs of honey. They live in the top of that hive so I wonder if they will move down to feed during the winter... I haven't been "inspecting" the hives since it got cold; it would be like someone leaving the door open on a cold day at home. Bought a bale of hay and will insulate next week by placing newspaper and hay in the top of an empty super over the hive to wick condensation moisture out of the hive (hopefully). Also need to mouse proof with #8 wire. (which is well traveled in the back of my car; sometimes I'm lazy but I need to beat the mice who seek warmth inside the hive) Bought 3 quarts of honey at Montgomery Place for feeding. It got cold all of a sudden with some spotty snow yesterday, but today was near 50* with brief sun this afternoon. The bees seem to be "hunkering down". This has been a very stumbly start to my bee keeping as Aunt Margaret passed just when I was starting, which kind of got me off balance. I hope that they make it through the winter and I will readjust things next spring. I hope I am supporting them and doing the "right" thing. This is all so new. Bless the bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment